Ruckus Rides!

The second thing Bangalore is famous for, is the traffic. With a government in slumber, poor roads, poorer transportation, and hooligans on the road, there is nothing left to do, but curse and wait for autos (Ola and Uber are 2x + traffic charges + whatever charges + pathetic drivers, sometimes. Metro isn't operational everywhere). When you stop an auto, never feel ecstatic ; for you might end up with the most annoying, hilarious or scary conversations. For instance(s),

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Yes
Me : <Alright, today I am lucky>

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Nods the head..says No and speeds off

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Extra 20 Rs
Me : I say no and look away

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Nods the head and asks, how much are you ready to pay?
Me : <With slight irritation and confusion if I am at an auction> Whatever the meter reads
Auto Driver : Says No and speeds off

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : 60 Rs
Me : No
Auto Driver : 50 Rs
Me : <Am I buying vegetables??> No, with the piss-me-not expression

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Yes, madam
Me : <Alright, lucky again!>
Drives like crazy - honking and trying to speed through all the available space on the road. Almost gets hit by a car!
Me : I hold my breath and whatever I could in the auto. Screech and close my eyes.
Auto Driver : <with a lot of concern for my expressions> Madam, either sit in the left side or right side. You can hold something..I drive very rashly in traffic
Me : <silent swearing. What a great advice!> I move to the right and hold whatever-it-is-called really tight and start chanting some mantra, waiting to get down.

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Yes
Auto Driver : The traffic is too bad. It is getting worse everyday
Me : Yeah!
Auto Driver : I have been driving the auto for 30 years. It is becoming increasing difficult these days. Too much rage and traffic
Me : <That is a lot of experience. I am in a safe auto!> That's nice. You must have seen the whole of Bangalore.
Auto Driver : Yes.. initially when I learnt, there were no tar roads in some areas. I even met with a couple of accidents. Once, I hit a woman riding a 2-wheeler. Nothing happened to her. The second time, I got hit by a bus and my leg was fractured. 
Me : <When am I going to get down?!>

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Yes
Auto Driver : I have Rs. 1000. If you have two 500 Rs, give it to me
Me : I don't have
Auto Driver : Repeats the same thing 
Me : I don't have 
Auto Driver : Okay madam, please get down
Me : <Still wondering what he was up to. But glad that I got off..> 

Me : *Destination name*
Auto Driver : Yes
After crossing 4 really big signals and waiting to cross the last signal
Me : I will get down here and walk
Auto Driver : You could have got down in the previous signal. I will have to go back all over again, in the traffic.
Me : <*silent swearing*. You don't get to tell me where to get down> Too pissed to talk.

I still feel the safest mode of transportation is walking. But, then, there are mad hooligans on the road, on the pavement, everywhere! God save us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men and handkerchiefs

An Arabian escape

Travelling to Dubai?